Software Engineering Manager
Experienced software engineer turned engineering manager with over a twenty
years experience producing or leading teams to produce custom software
- Software engineering management
- Lightweight, adaptive process initiation
- Hiring and building high-performance international teams
- Starting new offices
Boston, USA & Winterthur, Switzerland
Associate Director, Technology
Vistaprint is hiring: http://careers.vistaprint.com/
What I appreciate about working at my current job.
- I work with smart, talented people. Everyone has something that they can teach me.
- The environment fosters collaborative growth.
- The company provides me opportunities to stretch and apply the lessons that the people and environment teach me.
- Hired, onboarded, developing, and managing international team of 20 software engineers, QA engineers, project managers, business analysts, and managers across multiple countries.
- Responsible for development process and metrics for 50-person global manufacturing software team.
- Customer relationship management for production facilities around the globe.
- Liaison between Global Emerging Markets business unit and internal delivery organization.
Senior Software Engineer
- Implemented tri-party collateral confirmation status extract, clearance trade status extract, and other complex financial B2B solutions for Fortune 500 companies using C# and ADO.Net.
- Designed and implemented metadata-driven framework for formatting, validation, and serialization of detailed SWIFT financial messages using extensive reflection in C#.
Senior Lead Software Engineer
- Managed junior developers through process improvements to facilitate and automate weekly marketing releases, reducing manual effort required.
- Technical lead on various projects, including automated build system, pricing re-architecture, product bundling, and seamless upgrade of company's MAS 500 accounting system through two major release versions, including migration of 3rd-party and in-house customizations.
D. E. Shaw & Co.,
- Authored code libraries in C# and VB used by over 100 developers.
- Designed and implemented large, real-time, complex GUI applications to support online trading, account maintenance, evaluation of risk and suitability, and proprietary build system using VB, COM, and DCOM.
University of Massachusetts, Lowell
- Prepared and taught weekly introductory programming course in VB6 to 20 students. Duties included developing syllabus, giving lectures, and grading classwork.
- Produced retail order management system used by over 150 stores, using VB, MS SQL Server, and SQL Anywhere.
- Designed and produced order management authorization tool, a data-filtering tool featuring wizards, plain English translations, and other ease-of-use enhancements.
- Instituted developer mentoring program. Spearheaded implementation of coding standards and code reviews.
- Analyzed, designed, and implemented business solutions including: multi-user work flow system to speed processing of claims, graphical insurance coverage analysis tool for at-a-glance display of reinsurance layers, insurance retrocessional exposure management system, and credit control/recovery system using VB, Access, Excel, and Crystal Reports.
- Developed shareware, utilities, productivity tools, and IDE add-ins in VB and Delphi.
- B.S. cum laude, Mathematics and Statistics, Minor in Computer Science.
- Fluent in French and Italian. Rudimentary German.
Content last updated 2013-03-03.
Happily ensconced in my current dream job. Feel free to contact me with my next dream job. Please do not contact me at work unless you want to work for me.
Somewhere exotic. Preferably a global city